Monday, September 6, 2010

Everyone makes mistakes

I have just moved to Victoria, and so far I am loving it. I start my first day of college tomorrow, so today I am getting all my stuff together so that I'll be comfortably ready to go and start a new chapter of my life! Very cool.

Certified deception
I have always bought Hilroy notebooks for school. I love their simple, bold design and once I like a particular item I usually won't switch it up. Unless, of course, I learn that something about the product is causing harm. 

This year I noticed a small Sustainable Forest Industry logo on the cover of my notebook.

If it weren't for my dad I wouldn't even have known that the Sustainable Forest Industry was a farce. On the side of his giant old Mac computer was a sticker with the SFI logo on it that said "Don't buy SFI". The only difference was that the tree was being cut down. SFI certifies some of the most environmentally destructive timber companies in North America.

I am sad to know that I have given my money to a company that clear cuts trees and uses many chemicals. I grew up on a small island which was logged for many years, and I know the dangers of the chemicals that surround us.

Now I reject this bright red book of chemically laden paper. I choose this color for the first day because I wanted to have something cheerful to look at, but I don't think it will be comforting me anymore. 

I always try very hard to buy the right things and whenever I learn of something else immoral I have no problem avoiding it. I am happy to learn from my mistakes so I may educate people on buying well. Now, to seek out some paper certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).

The Forest Stewardship Council was created in 1993 and is the original forestry international forest certification system. FSC is a resource that provides people with wood and paper products that come from forests that are managed responsibly by social and environmental standards. 

Visit the FSC website to learn more and to find FSC certified companies



















































No comments:

Post a Comment